Roadcheck Ready: Beating the Blitz
Do you feel ready? It’s time… the latest Roadcheck Blitz will have about 9,000 inspectors in North America posted up and inspecting commercial vehicles and drivers June 4-6.
- An average of 17 commercial vehicles per minute are inspected throughout North America during the 3-day period.
- A focus will be taken on motor carriers’ steering and suspension during this year’s Roadcheck.
- CVSA inspectors shelled out 537 steering-related violations last year – 286 commercial vehicles were placed out of service.
- Last year, there were 500 suspension violations and 538 suspension-related OOS citations issues.
- There were 67,603 total inspections that took place last year – 21.6% of all inspected motor vehicles and 3.9% of drivers were placed OOS in 2018.
- Last year’s focus was hours of service – 43.7% of all drivers were placed OOS because of HOS violations in 2018.
The number one reason trucks are placed out of service during an annual CVSA International Roackcheck Blitz have to do with Brake Problems. Tires and wheels are a close second behind brake issues followed by Load Securement that accounted for 13% of OOS violations in 2018.
Other operating requirements and vehicle mechanical conditions to keep in mind for the 37-step Standard Level I Inspection include: coupling devices, driveline/driveshaft, driver’s set, exhaust systems, frames, fuel systems, headlamps, lamps/flags on loads, stop lamps steering mechanisms, suspensions, tail lamps, turn signals, van & open-top trailer bodies, wheels rims and hubs, and windshield wipers.
Inspectors may opt to conduct the Level II Walk-Around Driver/Vehicle Inspection, Level III Driver/Credential/Administrative Inspection or Level V Vehicle-Only Inspection.
Make sure you’re in good order in advance and stay safe.
Comments are closed